This week’s Direct has a number of vital (and exciting) bits of info.
1. As of this morning, we have 88 people registered for the Walk Thru the OT seminar this coming Sunday afternoon. You can still register online through this Friday (3/18), but walk-ins the day of the seminar are also welcome. Please note that reservations are now closed for childcare for this seminar. Many of you have shared that our current series on The Tabernacle has created a spark to explore more of the Old Testament. That’s good. This seminar will pour gasoline on that spark!
2. Please pray for a team of 8 people from WCCC traveling to Mexico City on March 22-28 to provide children’s ministry to missionary kids during a special Mexico Missionary Retreat. In addition, they will encourage and bless our partner missionaries, Casey & Teri Hancock. Our missions team has two more short-term mission trip opportunities for 2011. The first is coming up quickly on the weekend of April 1-3. A new church plant, Velocity Christian Church, serving a very ethnically diverse community in East Cleveland has asked us to send a team up that weekend in April to help staff one of their major outreach efforts, a Kidz Spring Spectacular. They expect to impact over 1500 young people and their families. The volunteer opportunities will include helping to run games or inflatables, helping with face painting and parking. The cost is only $120 per person which includes two nights hotel and meals. This is a very inexpensive and non-intimidating opportunity to partner with others in building the kingdom. If you are available to go, please contact James Hansee by email this week (firstname.lastname@example.org). The second opportunity scheduled is to go on a work trip to Mexico City on August 6-13 to partner with the Hancock’s. Participants on this trip will experience life with the Hancock’s and offer assistance in various work projects for them and for a local Christian school. The cost will be around $800 per person and the trip is limited to ten people. While there are some concerns about traveling to Mexico these days, the Hancock’s live in a safe neighborhood and they minister in a secure, gated community. For more information, please also see James.
3. An urgent and unexpected opportunity to serve and love our neighbor as ourselves has emerged this week. Our immediate neighbors at the Westbrook Village Mobile Home Community next door recently shared with us that some urgent cleanup is needed on some vacated/abandoned lots. Management is concerned that the Health Department will shut the park down unless clean up is done by the end of March. The manager of the park called and asked us to assist them in this endeavor. As a result, we have moved up our Labor for Your Neighbor day to Sunday, March 27 (It was originally slated for May 1st). Can you help? We will meet back at the church at 1:00pm after service to get instructions and then venture over to love and serve our neighbors. We will return to the church about 4:00 for a light supper and fellowship. Over 100 showed up to serve last year for Labor 4 Your Neighbor (in the rain)! Please bring work gloves, rakes, long-handled grabbers, etc. (Childcare will not be provided.) Let’s make a difference for 1 community!
4. Our Outreach Fish Fry is Friday, April 15th (tax day!). File your taxes and then come eat some fish (4-8pm). We are asking this year that you invite (and pay) for one other person to come with you. It’s not about fish – it’s about fishing for men! Our Fish Fry crew is prepared for hundreds and the fish is awesome. Chat this up. This is a great opportunity to introduce your friend to our new building and begin a low-key, safe conversation about the church and Easter services. Fish Fry tickets will be pre-sold beginning March 26/27 in the Atrium. Buy one for you AND a friend. Cost is $7.00 for adults, $4 for children.
5. As we countdown to Easter weekend – 2011, you will hear about the many ways you can make this the best Easter ever for Jesus and His church at Whitewater Crossing. Our theme will be “The Wall” and we are working to make it an experience to remember. As you make your Spring Break vacation plans, it will be worth making sure you are back by Easter Saturday/Sunday for one of our five services!
6. We’ve got our “Party ON” for Friday, April 1st (6-9pm) for children with special needs here at Whitewater Crossing. We are anticipating 75 children to come and experience a circus themed evening designed just for them while their parents take the “night off.” The evening still holds numerous serving opportunities on the registration and welcome team, to be a best buddy who spends one-on-one time with the kids, or to help with set up (Thursday evening, Friday afternoon) and clean up (Friday night). If you’d like to serve, please register online at http://www.whitewatercrossing.org under the Children’s Activity/Event on the home page or contact Michele Haas at 513.941.0709. Also contact Michele if you would like to bless these parents with a gift card donation to a restaurant or entertainment venue.
Told you this was exciting and important stuff! See you this weekend for ‘The Altar of Incense’ in the Tabernacle. Paula and our choir will be leading us in fragrant worship to our Jehovah God.
P.S. The March 26 “Encore” concert with Jaci Velasquez has been postponed. She really wants her husband Nic, lead guitarist/vocalist for the band Salvador, to be here with her for this event. He was not available in March. We are currently working on another date for Jaci and Nic to be here together – for worship and an “Encore!” Jaci is still scheduled to lead us in worship on March 26/27 weekend.